Sunday, October 9, 2011

Portland Open Studios Inspiration this weekend

I write a day after one of my favorite days in a long while-- Portland Open Studios, like a drug for the "handmade creative". In my usual highly curated approach, I scour the sites of an estimated 100 studios, to find my top 15-20 artists from various mediums. With only 5 hours to spend, taking in the best of ceramics, mixed media, oil, sculpture, illustration and works on paper, I feel like running the marathon after this experience. Here are a few of my highlights to share: Enjoy! Kris Paul ceramics, her husband Willy Paul photography, Rachel Austin oil and map paintings (one of which I had to buy), Puji Ceramics, No 2 Print Studio and last, but not least, our favorite, Therese Murdza original paintings and works on paper. All in all, a crazy prolific day for design in Portland. I still have these two to experience next, with camera in hand: Tim Loh Chinese paintings and Katherine Mead's collage pieces. We're heading to Iceland Tuesday, so design is there next...